The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to set development and energy access efforts back years – if not decades – in the world’s most vulnerable areas and countries.
The global South faces a tsunami of multiple, devastating impacts driven by the crisis – everything from lost lives, overwhelmed public health systems and psycho-social trauma to deepening food insecurity, increases in gender-based violence and economic suffering stemming from unemployment and market disruptions.
Community-based energy champions are truly the backbone of a just transition to a clean energy future. Yet the pandemic has put these indispensable leaders at serious risk. Many are people of color or women. The micro and small businesses they lead are experiencing dramatic customer losses due to lock downs and market closures. Sales are significantly reduced as customers are forced to cut back on clean energy to prioritize food, medicine and other expenses tied to COVID-related illness and death. At the same time, these front-line energy justice champions have limited access to personal protective equipment – and zero access to government stimulus funds or small business loans.
COVID-19 Recovery Fund Grant
The COVID-19 Recovery Fund Grant demonstrates Shine’s commitment, during these extraordinarily challenging times, to sustain energy access initiatives that are locally-rooted, women-led and managed and/or directed by local communities. These small grants will provide funding for last-mile energy access entrepreneurs, cooperatives, agencies and community leaders as they help vulnerable populations struggling with the global pandemic. The fund was designed by The Shine Campaign and Shine’s Council of Women Leaders in Energy Access.
To learn more about and apply for the COVID-19 Recovery Grant Fund, please download the following:
- Call for Proposals (EN)
- Application Form (EN)
- Budget Template
For questions, please email email@example.com.
Information about COVID-19 and Last-Mile Energy Access
The global coronavirus crisis underscores the urgent need for distributed energy solutions in marginalized communities confronted by threats to food security, health, education and economic development.
This webpage includes valuable resources to help Shine’s community of practice raise awareness, mobilize finance and advocate for just, locally based and led solutions to ensure that we fill this critical energy access gap in the world’s last mile communities now.
Shine Community Convening and COVID Recovery Grant Launch – Recording
“Ask an Expert” with Harish Hande, Founder and CEO of SELCO Foundation
COVID-19: Solar-Powered Hand Washing Machine Made In Ghana
In The News
- Women Entrepreneurs Are Essential To Last-mile Distribution Of Renewable Energy Technologies, PV Magazine
- Not Enough Climate Action In Stimulus Plans Eco Business
- How To Manage Cities In The Post COVID-19 Period? Modern Diplomacy
- Sustainability Is On The Front Foot In COVID-19 World The Asset
- COVID-19 Impacts Investors’ Energy Strategies In Africa African Business
- Air Pollution: Locked Down By COVID-19 But Not Arrested World Economic Forum
- Green Energy Ratchets Up Power During Coronavirus Pandemic Reuters
- Africa’s Distributed Energy Resources Dominated By Overseas Players ESI Africa
- A Just Post-Pandemic Transition Eco Business
- UN SDG 7 Publications Urge Enhanced Energy Action Amidst Global Pandemic IISD
- Clean Energy Investment Can Support Countries To ‘Recover Better’: SEforAll Devdiscourse
- Coronavirus Crisis Threatens To Cut Off Clean Electricity Lifeline For Poor Thomson Reuters Foundation
- Women Leaders Call For Action In Response To Covid-19: Opening Opportunities For Gender Equality In The Transition To Sustainable Energy GW Net
- COVID-19 Reinforces Need for Sustainable Energy Solutions The Weekly Journal
- Energy Access And Clean Cooking Solutions Must Be Part Of COVID-19 Economic Recovery Plans African Business Magazine
- How Clean Energy Can Power A COVID-19 Recovery UNDP
- The Pandemic Is Laying Bare a Global Water Crisis Foreign Policy
- Air Pollution Will Mean More Covid-19 Deaths. The Warning Is Loud And Clear For India Scroll
- How COVID-19 Is Waking Up Wall Street To Sustainability HuffPost
- COVID-19 To Accelerate Solar Adoption Across Sub-Saharan Africa Smart Energy
- Transforming The Energy System – A Post COVID-19 Win Win For People And Planet Modern Diplomacy
- COVID-19 Energy Access Industry Barometer Energising Development
- Energy Progress Report: COVID-19 intensifies the urgency to expand sustainable energy solutions worldwide Tracking SDG7
- Powering Health across Africa through COVID-19 and a Changing Climate Rocky Mountain Institute
- Will COVID-19 fiscal recovery packages accelerate or retard progress on climate change? Oxford Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment
- The Recover Better with Sustainable Energy Guide for African Countries SEforALL